Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Birchbox June 2013 - Full Review



Hello friends,

Well, it's time to review the June 2013 Birchbox, so let's get right to it.

Overall, I was very excited about this box, and for a good reason: Origins samples!

In particular, the Vita-zing cream which I had wanted to try for such a long time. This time around, the girls did send me two full size products (Color Club nail Polish and Mirenesee Lip Pencil). So to me, this was a box well worth the investment...Alas, it was a big let down upon trying out all the samples.


****************************************
 

Origins -Vitazing with SPF 15 - F



I
 heard such a buzz about this product. Basically, it is the original BB Cream! A treatment moisturizer with a tint. 85% said that their skin looked energized, 92% instantly saw a more radiant skin?
What did I see?
My skin lathered in some kind of mayonnaise-like goo that literally melted off my face by mid-day!
 
To begin, this is a white cream with tiny, microscopicc -like, beads that burst on contact and change the cream into a light foundation. The color itself was okay, though a bit too yellow for my super light skin. I can't say it was love at first sight because as soon as I put it on I knew it was too oily for my combination skin. And I was right!  Three hours later my face looked like I had sprayed olive oil all over it and all my pores looked enlarged...not too radiant, if you ask me.
That said, it was hot that day, so perhaps this is something I would need to use in the winter...Not that I am actually going to try it again, but you get the point: this is not for combination or oily skins. As for the coverage, I would say it was decent. I did like the scent.
 
This was the one item I was the most excited about and by far the one that disappointed me the most. So yeah, Vitazing has made it to my Hall of Fails! Full Size:$35.
 
 
Origins - Plantscription - Anti-Aging Eye Treatment - B -


By now I think you all know about my obsession with eye creams...I'd like to think that I can tell a good one from a so-so one and this is the latter. Again a big disappointment as I was also looking forward to trying this sample. I guess it really did not make such an outstanding impression on me since after using it for a couple of days,  I totally forgot I had received it in the first place. To be honest, I don't even know where it is now, so yes, it would qualify as a totally forgettable product!
 
I found this cream to be very fluid. It does not have much of a scent and absorbs almost on contact. I can see where this is a good age preventing eye cream for you, ladies in your late 20s and mid 30s. but for a gal like me, no way. Full size - $43.50 (what?). It's just not thick enough. B-.
 
 
Mirenesse - Glossy Lip - Pencil in Scarlett - A-
 
 
Here is a fat pencil I really liked! First, this glides on wonderfully and feels more like a creamy lip color than a pencil. I also like the design, finding it very attractive with that little lace detail on the cap. It has great staying power and did not dry my lips one bit.   Now, this is supposed to have a dual function lip and cheek. While I am all for creating efficiency and reducing bulk in my purse, I will not use a product that goes on my lips then on my cheeks and on my lips again. Call me picky, I just don't find it to be very hygienic. So for that reason, I never tried it as a cheek booster.

I would also have given it an A+ if it was not for the color itself.  Though it did look like an orangey pink on the back of my hand, it turned out more like a serious coral on my lips. It also has too much of a gold shimmer for my taste. That being said, I think this will be a great color for me to wear in the fall and winter - to add a bit of glam.  But as a summer color? It's just too flashy. It is still a very good product. I would recommend this one for purchase and I am actually looking at other colors with the same formula. Full size - $26.55. It's a bit stiff for a lip pencil, don't you think so?

It is also available in these colors:

Image Source



Color Club - Nail Polish in Pardon my French - A


I cannot believe that I would give that color   a good grade, but I did! This was my first time using the Color Club brand since my polish of choice is either O.P.I or Essie.

At first, I was taken aback by the color, it is after all a neon lavender/purple. I don't particularly find my hands attractive, so any color that jumps at you is usually something I shy away from, being more interested in hiding my stubby digits than anything else.


So you can imagine how surprised I was after applying two coats! This is actually a very nice color that is also very wearable. Perfect for the summer. Not so great on toes (just an FYI). The formula itself is very good, neither too fluid nor too thick, it applied evenly and dried very fast, providing full and opaque coverage. Great brush too. Full size - $8.00

So I went to their site and found all these other colors available:

Image Source


I think this is a good selection. You can find Color Club at Hammon Discount (where they are under $5).



Folie de Joie - Eau de Parfum - No rating


Perfumes are so personal, there is no sense for me to rate this one. All I can say is that I did not care for it. Too strong, too flowery, too much jasmine, never mind the price tag of $98!

On a side note, Birchbox translated it as "crazy with joy", uh, not so, that would be "folle de joie" and Folie de Joie is very awkward to say in French. Matter of fact, folie is more like "madness" and quite frankly that is what this perfume did to me!
It's just not for everyone. If you stop by Sephora and sample it there, trust me, it will make its presence known for the next five days!

I can't say I am back on a Birchbox rant again (wait until you see the July box!) but this was a box that looked too good to be true.  I still love trying new things and continue to look forward to the next one, I was just very disappointed with the Origins samples I tried. It just proves my theory that sometimes all the buzz is just not worth following! So, thank goodness for samples!


****************************************


For those of you who are new to Birchbox, for $10/month you will receive a box with 4 to 5 cosmetics and skin care samples from name brand companies. Once in a while, the girls at Birchbox will send you a full size item. Shipping is free. I personally enjoy receiving my box every month, it feels a bit like Christmas as I never know what's in the box. Overall, and despite earlier disappointments, I would say that Birchbox is a great treat that feels a bit like luxury without breaking my bank!


Thanks for  liking and sharing MGC with friends and family.

Sophia, NJ

You can find me on
FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE

*This site and post contains affiliate advertising. I am not affiliated with Birchbox or any of the companies and or products mentioned above. All opinions are my own.




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and comments. If you have a question or a specific request, do not hesitate, I am here to help! Thanks, S.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover